Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Only Getting Better

I'm happy to report that a mere two days after surgery and I'm beginning to be more mobile.  The pain has reduced (from an average of 7-8ish on the day of the surgery to about an average of 4-5ish today).  I've gotten a pretty good method down for using my crutches so they don't hurt my hands as much.  I'm actually getting hungry for the first time since before surgery, and with the increased mobility that's pretty good timing since I can (with a little effort) get to the kitchen and nibble a bit.  I'm also able to lift my leg with my arms easier now, so I don't necessarily need someone to help me in and out of bed and such anymore.

I think a lot of the improvements have actually been getting my timing right for things.  Such as since I know I take my meds on the 2, 6, and 10 (2am, 6am, 10am, 2pm, 6pm, 10pm) and I know that for the first hour the Percocet makes me quite nauseous if I move around too much, I can figure out how much I can eat and drink, at what times of the day, and I know when it's easiest on my stomach and on the pain in my knee when I move around based on those times.  It's all about those little details I suppose.

Ahh and speaking of which... Oxycontin makes my brain pretty fuzzy and makes it hard to focus on one thing or even keep my eyes open.  So it's a safe bet that for a couple hours after I take my two doses of that each day it's best I just sleep.  Thankfully sleeping seems to be working wonders for the healing as well, which is great.

Probably something people won't want to hear about is what I'm actually able to feel.  There is one spot just below my knee cap on my left, where I can feel one of the staples occasionally... it's incredibly unpleasant but I guess it could be worse :P  There are some specific areas where I'm starting to feel what I can only imagine are 'healing pains' so I pretty much just keep reminding myself 'it's only going to get better from here'.  And of course all the itchiness that accompanies the usual healing.  It's just too bad you can't scratch inside your bones haha.


In any case, I'm very thankful for all the phone calls, texts, emails, flowers, and such.  Even if I am all drugged up and don't make a very good conversationalist most of the time, know that I absolutely appreciate each of you who has expressed your well wishes :)  Love you guys tons!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your feedback is always appreciated. Rude, solicitous, or spam comments will be deleted.